This Infrastructure Delivery Plan considers the impact of growth from the Local Plan 2029 Part 1 in the Vale of White Horse District. This is a live document that will be updated throughout the plan period.
The National Planning Policy Framework states that the Local Plan should be based on up-to-date evidence about the economic, social and environmental characteristics and prospects of the area. Local planning authorities should assess the quality and capacity of infrastructure and its ability to meet forecast demands and should take account of the need for strategic infrastructure including nationally significant infrastructure within their areas.
The infrastructure necessary to support the proposed growth in Wantage and Grove can be categorised under three headings.
• Physical infrastructure: transportation networks, water, drainage, waste management, sewage treatment and utility services.
• Social infrastructure: education, health facilities, social services, emergency services and other community facilities such as libraries and cemeteries.
• Green infrastructure: parks, allotments, footpaths, play areas and natural and amenity green space.
BUT: it is a little confusing because the next paragraph (3.5) mixes the catagorisation as it says:
"Some of the Science Vale UK transport infrastructure in the following schedules is identified as necessary, because it does not need to be brought forward ahead of development. However, it is critical from the point of view that without this infrastructure coming on line, the vision for strategic growth at Science Vale UK cannot be realised."
First the infrastructure that is required for any site in Wantage and Grove [show detail]
- Gas Supply - Potentially a new gas supply to the proposed development will involve off site works to reach the site
- Power Supply - Where existing infrastructure is inadequate to support the increased demands from the new development, the costs of any necessary upstream reinforcement required would normally be apportioned between developer and DNO (Distribution Network Operator).
- Sewer network – upgrades required for both sites to be able to connect to STW north of Grove.
- Sewage Treatment Works (STW) upgrade will be required for growth over 2,500 at Wantage and Grove.
- Water supply – resource availability.
- Water network - Necessary trunk infrastructure in place for 2,500 homes. Additional development likely to require an upgrade of the boosters at Hagbourne Hill. Local upgrades are also likely to be needed at both sites.
- Secondary School Provision – One new School (Primary schools are included within specific developments)
- Floor space within community buildings for: Adult Learning; Early Years; Early Intervention Service
- Special Needs education enhancements
- Wantage Eastern Link Road (WELR) between the A417 and A338
- A417 route improvements (no detail provided)
- A338 and Frilford traffic light junction improvements
- Relief and Improvements to Rowstock Roundabout
- Improvements to Featherbed Lane
- Milton Interchange Hamburger
- Steventon junction traffic light improvements
- SVUK Strategic Cycle Network
- SVUK Strategic Bus network Improvements
- Bus Stop facilities (including Real Time Information)
- Local Junction, highway and traffic management measures (precise infrastructure required to mitigate specific developments)
- Sustainable Urban Drainage System (SUDS) / Drainage
- Fire Hydrants
- Recycling and rubbish bins
- Street naming and numbering
- Local Pedestrian and cycle links (precise infrastructure required to mitigate specific developments)
- Implementation of measures and initiatives to promote sustainable travel
- Public Transport - Local Town Services
- Public rights of way improvements
- Provision of internal greenways for walkers, cyclists and horse riders
- Improvements to or replacement of the Wantage Leisure Centre
- Restoration of the Wilts and Berks canal
- New Children’s Centre
- Specialist Health and Wellbeing Centre
- Oxfordshire Central Library services
- Enhancements to Local Library services
- Extension to County Museum Resource Storage Centre
- Public art
- Community Care - Community hospital mental health
- Wantage Market Place refurbishment
- Additional burial facilities in Grove only – about 4567 sqm (estimate)
- Household Waste recycling and reuse capacity enhancements
- Ambulance Service: Ambulance Standby Amenity Point
- Fire Station
- Conservation Target Areas (these are strategic areas that promote the preservation, restoration and re-creation of priority habitats and populations of priority species).
Priorities by development will be coming soon.